Important Service Coordinator in Elderly Housing Update - HUD Grant Renewal
Thursday, May 12, 2016
The HUD Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 annual grant renewal process has begun. The Service Coordinator in Multifamily Housing and the Congregate Housing Services Program annual renewals of grant funding for Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 and forward will be tied to the calendar year. This model is intended to:
- Establish uniform performance periods for the accounts. This uniformity will allow for confident budget forecasting as well as better field office management of awards.
- Align with the funding model of the Section 8 program.
- Eliminate gaps between the depletion of funds for the current performance period and the availability of funding for the new performance period.
- Ensure that funds are in place to support all grants during the first quarter of each fiscal year, a period during which HUD’s receipt of new appropriations/continuing resolution funds are often severely delayed.
This shift to a calendar year cycle of funding will result in some FY 2016 grant performance periods not covering a full 12-month period. However, since the start dates will align on January 1, 2017 (subject to the availability of funds), this shift will remedy all gaps. Grantees should expect no impact to the service coordinator positon. The Department recognizes the value of the Service Coordinator Program in supporting our residents to age-in-place and is committed to the sustainment and continuity of this program.
These FY 2016 renewals will begin the Department’s migration to a calendar year funding model and will begin with the renewal of all awards that have expired or will expire by June 30, 2016. The HUD-1044s for all grants with funding available to cover a full performance period may be processed but must be limited to the December 31, 2016 end date. The process for shifting to this calendar year model is as follows:
- Year One: Starting with FY 2016 renewals, the strategy is to align the performance period end dates. When processing FY 2016 renewals, funds must not be made available beyond December 31, 2016 — the new performance end date for all awards. Renewal of awards must be consistent with existing guidance. No COLA increase will be made available for any FY 2016 awards.
- Year Two: Starting in Calendar Year (CY) 2017, the strategy will be to align the performance period start dates. In CY 2017, all grants will be renewed with a January 1, 2017, performance period start date — the new performance start date for all awards. Headquarters is consulting with legal to streamline the renewal process in an effort to reduce internal and external burdens. Guidance for renewals for CY 2017 awards will be made available in summer of 2016.
Note: Grants that expire July 31, 2016, through December 31, 2016, will be processed beginning July 1, 2016. For more information, you should contact the HUD Regional/Hub office that handles your grant program.